- Worked 33 hours this week
- Commissioned a series of illustrations to do a “Real Heroes Wear Masks” campaign across social channels. Octavius A. Newman art directed it and M. Brian Bowens illustrated it.
- New schedule planning and team model workshopping
- Client chat with account team (Abby Fretz, Courtney Bradford, and TJ Pitre )
- Quarterly planning workshop with Crystal Vitelli
- Talked to Able Parris about upcoming pitch
- Talked to Jessi Hall about project teams
- Talked to Jen Dary about coaching
- Monthly SuperFriendly Directors’’ roundtable about working with difficult clients
- Talked to J Cornelius about public design systems
- Biz dev check-ins with Joe Rinaldi
- Workshopped all the things with Lauren Deal
- Caught up with Jason Santa Maria
- Reviewed icon work with Jenn Piatkowski
- Worked on existing client pitch and shared first draft with team
- Onboarded Director and Producers for new account team
- Weekly SuperFriendly Systems team meeting with Lauren Deal, Crystal Vitelli, Nikki Loffredo, Dontae Benn, Matt Sherlock, and Joe Rinaldi
- Client team sync with Jessi Hall, Josh Clark, and Brad Frost
- Monthly SuperFriendly Snack n’ Learn led by Crystal about “Projects That Didn’t Go Well”
- Talked with Clarity Conference organizers and Michelle Morrison from Dropbox Design
- Schemed with Marci Pasanello, Micky Teng, Nick Hahn, and Zach Hauer from Invision with Joe Rinaldi
- Talked development approach with Lauren Deal and Kevin Deal
- 1-on-1 with Crystal Vitelli
- Talked Universal Role Expectations with Emily Meekins from Seer Interactive with Crystal Vitelli
- Talked to Mia Blume about leadership coaching
- Talked to Tim Shelburne about technical auditing for prospective client
- Talked analysis paralysis with therapist
- Tried out a new therapist
- Went to an allergist appointment
- Made slow cooker short ribs
- Slept an average of 6 hours and 48 minutes per night. Average bedtime: 10:41pm. Average wake up time: 5:53am.
- Free Solo
- Hasan Minhaj: Homecoming King
Notable reads #
- Dawn of X Volume 1, by Jonathan Hickman
- Son of M, by David Hine, issues 1–6
- Tré Seals created Vocal Type to “introduce a non-stereotypical piece of minority culture into the design itself, starting with the basis of any good design—typography.“ I bought all of his amazing typefaces.
- I spent a good chunk of the week thinking and reading about what work looks like because of COVID-19. McKinsey reimagined the office, Slack did some surveying, and Gartner made 9 predictions. Reentry anxiety is real. Architects are figuring out how to create more personal space within already-cramped offices. The office of the future is the office of the past.
- Tom Muller does all the graphic design for the X-Men books I’m loving lately.
- A friend asked about some tips for spacing in design systems. I pointed him at Nathan Curtis’ concepts, Elliot Dahl’s how-tos, and my mental model for flexibility.
- Philly Row is a love letter to and an exploration of the versatile and ubiquitous rowhouse building style.
- To conditionally format a Google sheet cell based on another cell, create a custom formula that looks like
- It’s difficult to find good movies on Amazon Prime, so Lifewire rounded up their top 12 for July 2020.