- When I focus on a smaller number of things, I work more. When I have a lot of little things to do, I work less. I wonder if lots of little things fatigue me, as opposed to a smaller number of big things.
- I tend to work more when I’m enjoying myself or am excited about something. This week, I was excited about launching the course, and I started on a side project I’ve been mulling over in my head for months.
- I tend to see holiday weeks as weeks I can focus on my own things. I wonder if that means I see “normal” weeks as ones where I’m obligated to do something instead of pursuing. I’d like to figure out how to carve out more time each week to work on the stuff I want to.
- Worked 61 hours (on a holiday week!)
- In posting my daily standup, I started to rank each task as good, neutral, or bad against how I felt about it the day after. Hoping this gives me a better sense of what I really enjoy doing vs. what I could do without.
- I launched a new course: Make Design Systems People Want to Use!
- Sketched out team structure for new account
- Talked rates with a development partner for a new project
- Interviewed a producer for a new project
- Talked upcoming Arcade marketing plans with Julia Fernandez and Leslie Camacho
- Pre-project planning with Ben Colar and Dan Price from Baby Grand
- Got some advice from Blair Enns about pricing some prospective work
- Finished editing course videos
- Talked to Marc Fonteijn about recording a new episode of the Service Design Show
- 1-on-1 with Matt Cook
- Working session with Crystal Vitelli
- Talked new SuperFriendly course plans with Josh Luciano and Scott Cook
- Schemed with Matt Weil and Allan White from Contentful
- Biz dev check-in with Joe Rinaldi
- Did a bunch of yardwork and cleaned the outside of the house windows (for the first time… ever)
- Cooked a Thanksgiving meal with the fam: 2 Easy Roast Chickens, Make Ahead Corn Stuffing, Mashed Sweet Potatoes, and Sheet Pan Mustard Roasted Vegetables. We even made a silly behind-the-scenes video of the process.
- I intended to play Ghosts of Tsushima. As of right now, it still sits unopened in its original packaging.
- Slept an average of 6 hours and 6 minutes per night. Average time in bed: 6 hours and 45 minutes. Average bedtime: 10:44pm. Average wake up time: 4:42am.
- Jingle Jangle
- Inception (again)
- The Mighty Ducks (again)
- The Mandalorian, season 2 chapter 1
- Continued with part 2 of the 30x500 Academy course
Notable reads #
- Listened to chapters 1–11 of Watching You by Lisa Jewell
- I’ve been wondering how to do animated multiline link underlines forever!
- Sad to hear that former Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh passed away. I learned a lot from reading Delivering Happiness earlier this year.
- Heydon Pickering stirred up the masses with his awesome new site.
- Queeng playing cards are “the first deck of cards where men and women are equal.”
- Black Friday Got Its Name From When Workers Played Hookie After Thanksgiving… in Philly!
- I was trying to add a bunch of times together, and the time calculator came in very handy!
- Josh Luciano released his free Golden Streets photography presets.
- Apparently, Worldwide Backup Day is a thing.